Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Under the Weather

I have noticed a disturbing trend on my blog lately.  That is, almost every entry has something to do with how I do not have time to write or post anything on my blog. Ugh. So I will not say that today, as I am writing something; therefore that statement would obviously be untrue.

Instead, I will take this opportunity to complain about  describe the weather we've been having lately.  Today it is a lovely, though wintery, sunny day.  The snow is still knee- to hip-deep, of course, as I have continually pointed out that it never melts, or it waits till sometime in April, anyway.  The last time I heard, we had gotten some amount of snow every single day in January except for one; we may be up to two or three snow-free days by now, since I haven't seen any flakes flying today.  But this does make me appreciate even more the beautiful sunshine today.  Another great thing about today is that the temperature is a toasty 27 degrees, a whole 49 degrees WARMER than last Friday's season low of -22.  When I woke up last Friday morning the fancy time-and-temperature-flashing-on-the-ceiling clock was out of range for temperature, which means that it measured the temperature at some point below its low of -23.7.  You just have to use sheer will power to pull yourself out of bed at that point!

It was cold.  If we go with the Weather Channel's official temperature of -22 (though my fancy clock would suggest it was lower in our yard), let's just take a moment to see how that compares with some familiar temperatures:
  • -22 is 66 degrees colder than most refrigerators.
  • -22 is 22 degrees colder than most freezers.
  • -22 is 54 degrees colder than the freezing point of water.  This is why we do not use the term "freezing" to mean 32 degrees, like we often did in AL, because it would really be considered a warm-up on most winter days if we hit "freezing!"
  • -22 is 24 degrees colder than the average low of 2 degrees for January 21 in Plymouth, MN.
  • -22 is only 6 degrees warmer than the record low for January 21 in Plymouth, MN.
  • -22 is 72 degrees colder than the average low for January in Melbourne, FL.  Most of you will recall that our family has moved from there to here TWICE now.  Oh well.
So if you want to know how different it feels to live here (Though, actually, we are not even talking about wind chill here, but actual temperatures!), just stand in your freezer a while and try to imagine yourself 22 degrees colder.  (No wonder my refrigerator feels so warm to me every time I come in from grocery shopping!  This is why I own a refrigerator thermometer.)  Maybe then you will understand why my children are, at this moment, outside basking in the weak January sunshine, playing in the snow with only snowpants, sweatshirts, and gloves.  Who needs coats when the temperature has gone up 49 degrees?


I Corinthians 7:17:
"Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him."

No comments: