Thursday, June 9, 2011

What's Cooking Thursday? Homemade Popsicles

Well, the blog seems to be going all recipes, all the time (or at least once a week).  That is still not my intention, but I have just been too busy to write much.  My commitment to What's Cooking Wednesday seems to be the only thing that brings me back here each week.  And I even missed that yesterday.  Sorry!  I am sure that when winter comes again I will settle back down.

Great news!  Summer has arrived, like it usually does.  It is hard to believe how quickly things change around here.  We had snow the first two days of May, just a month ago, and yet Monday it was 97 degrees.  Tuesday was a scorcher at 103.  Yes, you read that right!  It was hot!  But yesterday we settled back into the 70's and today started out at 50 and won't reach 70.  Easy come, easy go...

Despite my negligence, I did have a recipe for What's Cooking Wednesday this week, so I will call it What's Cooking Thursday this time.  I was inspired by the warm weather to make homemade popsicles for the kiddos, and they turned out well.  This is more of an idea than a recipe, since you could do whatever you want here.  I had absolutely no popsicle-making equipment (molds, sticks, etc.), but they still turned out yummy.  I think I will look into some popsicle molds soon, though, because it would make the whole thing even easier.

Yogurt Pops

Vanilla yogurt, 16 oz (or any flavor)
Frozen orange juice concentrate, about 1/2 can
2 bananas

Blend ingredients together in a blender.  Pour into small paper cups or popsicle molds.  I threw in some whole blueberries just for fun.  If using paper cups, set them on a cookie sheet before filling for easier carrying to the freezer.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Insert popsicle sticks through plastic into the middle of each cup, or cut plastic straws in half and use those, which is what I did.  Freeze for 4-8 hours, or overnight.  Tear off paper cups to serve.

Basically, you can make your favorite smoothie of any variety and freeze it to make popsicles.  Yum! You could also freeze your favorite juice.  These will be healthier and cheaper than most popsicles you could buy.  If you resort to freezing Kool-aid, though, you may as well buy the little freezer pops in the long plastic tubes, which will be much easier and probably just as cheap.

No comments: